Monday, October 18, 2010

Hello Son!!!

After a very bumpy 20 hour flight in - we finally made it to Kampala, Uganda!!!  We got in at about 9pm last night, and the drive in was quite adventerous.  Josh warned me about the driving and lack of street laws in Uganda...but I thought he was exagerating.  HE WASN'T.  I drove most of the way with my eyes closed.  What I did notice about the area at night is that the people were out and about pretty late.  It smelled like something was burning.  Was very loud.  And I REALLY missed Gracie.  Really.  Needless to say...I wasn't feeling the way I was expecting!  We met the guards and climbed up a long, steep staircase to our room.  There were mosquito nets, and open windows.  I was stressed about brushing my teeth with the water...so gave up and went to bed.  I was scared...honestly.  So new.  It didn't help that we had to sleep right next to O's room and couldn't see him until morning.
I was exhausted but woke up at 3:30am for some reason.  I felt this weird, panic/sadness and I couldn't shake it.  I finally figured out that my Mom would tell me to read my bible...so I did.  I journaled and read and prayed.  And I felt much better.  All that was left was this Gracie sadness...and I couldn't help it.  Josh woke up...asked me to climb into his (twin) bed with him and snuggled me until I felt better.  I got back in my bed when I couldn't bear his snoring anymore (lol) and finished my journaling.  Finally feeling AT PEACE.
Then...at about 4:30...was the rooster...cock a doodle doo!!!  And the mosque's call to prayer.  So loudly chanting something I couldn't understand.  SO early.  So...I haven't slept much in the past few days.  But I have prayed A LOT.
With the sunrise (which are beautiful here) came a fresh new perspective...and the ability to MEET OUR SON.  We had to go to his room early b/c we had to get to our lawyer's office.  We got in there...and saw about 50 of the most beautiful, stunning, amazing African orphans.  Seriously.  They are all so incredible.  Smiling...shining...loveable.  Destroyed...destroyed...destroyed...is my heart.  They are all so in need of love.  I decided that I was here to love on them too.
And then the Mamma's pointed out our O.  I was very nervous - but of course - there was no reason for it.  He smiled and laughed as we held him.  When Josh put him down...he even reached out for him.  He was upset when we had to leave and I couldn't help but wish we could take him with us.  But... we couldn't.
So we met with our lawyers.  And it went well.  We go O's birth certificate (with an estimated date of birth).  We hear that there will even be a couple people there to support us in court that have met O along his short journey of life.
We were also able to meet up with another adoptive Mom in Amsterdam and travel to and from our lawyers office together.  I can't even say how much peace it has brought to know a friend is there with us.  Especially one that has adopted from Uganda before!  We are so blessed by her friendship.
Then...came back to the babies home...walked around...almost got run over by a boda boda (motorcycle)...got locked in the bathroom (again).  There is no longer any water in the guest house (and we complained about not having hot water at first).  But all is OK b/c we get to go spend 3 hours with our little man!
He is amazing.  He fits in with us so well.  He is full of personality.  He is ours.  And he really is impressing me with his attitude.  You would think that he would have some sort of shyness with us considering what he has been through.  But, there was none of that.  He is just so friendly and sweet.  He is looking SO much healthier!  I got to love on him and he even loved on me back.  He is all that we hoped we could have.  It was tough leaving him tonight but we had to let him get some rest because we have COURT IN THE MORNING.
Please pray that court goes well.  That the judge sees our case and rules as quickly as possible.  We can't get O out of the babies home (away from the other kids who may be sick) until we get a favorable ruling.  Please pray that it goes well.  Flawless.  And quickly.
There is also a little boy who is sick at the babies home.  Josh is really concerned about him tonight.  Please pray for healing for this boy.
It was amazing to see the nurse administer some of the drugs to the kids immediately after donating them to the babies home.  Such a blessing!!!  Two of the kids were in need of one of the antibiotics we brought but were unable to get it yet due to funding.  So, that was awesome.
I have to add that the people of Uganda are easy to fall in love with.  They are kind and considerate.  So friendly.  And so different.  And I just love how God is the most amazing artist.
Must go...time is adding up! And internet costs by the minute here!  :)

To my sweet O,
I fell in love with you even more today.  I didn't think I could...but I did.  And you are just so amazing.  I long for our family of 4 to be together.  You are such an inspiration to me and your Daddy.  And everyone we know to be honest.  You are such a fighter.  And a lover.  Can't wait to see you again tomorrow.  Dress you in your court outfit.  You are gonna be sharp!

Love you more,
Mommy

11 comments:

  1. YAY!!!!! So glad you're with him! Praying all goes well in court tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy for you! I remember all of those same thoughts and feelings this time last year. Try not to brush your teeth with the water. Use bottled water. When you take a shower, keep your mouth closed and don't let the water get in. The Kampala water supply has typhoid in it. It's not a high risk but probably better to be on the safe side.

    If Mama Agnes is still there, would you tell her that Mama Joyce (they say "Joy-cee) says, "Hello and I love her!"

    So glad you are there now. Praying for peace, for your heart, for bonding, for the court hearing and ruling, visa, and the whole shebang!

    Much love,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so awesome, I am in tears here, so happy, praying court will go smoothly!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cried all the way through reading this. I am so happy for you all. I will be praying that everything goes smoothly for you and I will be praying for the sick little boy too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so wonderful! I am so happy for you! Praying that everything goes smoothly. Can't wait to meet O.

    ReplyDelete
  6. AHHH!!!! This is AWESOME! Between you, Katy and Colleen I am over the moon right now! Haha! I cannot wait to see pics and hear how court goes. God is in control and He has moved HUGE mountains to bring you to this point. He will move them again tomorrow. Hugs and prayers to you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  7. can hardly wait to hear more! praying God's speed on the court hearing and all the other paperwork that needs to be processed. love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  8. All the feelings you had before you met O were exactly the same feelings i had the night before we met Ellie. Brings back a flood of memories. So happy for all of you!! Can't wait to meet O.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so glad it is going well! I have been a nervous wreck for you guys the last few days. And then you have to go and make me cry... AGAIN!! I am so happy for you. Your parents are taking great care of Gracie so concentrate on O. Good luck at court tomorrow! I love you guys and stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Know that Baller BFG is thinking about you guys and praying for you while you are away! We are so happy that you finally got to meet your precious boy - what an amazing day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Crying tears of joy for you right now! Such an awesome God we serve... and who needs water??!?! :-)
    Keep us posted! Can't wait to see pictures!

    ReplyDelete