Monday, July 5, 2010

The Big News Is Out!

The blog web address has probably given it all away, huh??? Yes, we are adopting! It is going to be a long journey, and we would love to have as many friends and family with us every step of the way...so I will be blogging about our process - start to finish! Please feel free to invite others to join us - the more the merrier!!!
Let me begin with what got us started on this journey...hang in there...I'll try to keep most of my posts short and sweet, but this one, I think, deserves some detail.

Josh and I had Gracie about 3 and a half years ago. She is, to us, the perfect example of God's grace. She is a handful, but we refuse to let a day pass where we don't appreciate what an incredible blessing she is. She is FULL OF LIFE!
Shortly into our pregnancy with her, we realized that it was going to be a tough one. From marginal cord insertion, to a new found blood clotting disease for me, to high blood pressure and bedrest, to an early arrival...Gracie made it clear that she would not go about things the easy way. By the time she arrived at 5 lbs even...we were all a little on edge. But she was here! And she was healthy - despite a few minor set backs.
Josh and I quickly decided that pregnancy was not for us and that we would adopt the next time around - and so he got a vasectomy. We talked about it casually but always put it off because it was so expensive. Josh was adimate about adopting within our own country but domestic adoption was just too expensive and risky. About a year and a half ago...we started talking about it more seriously and so the prayers began. We just asked God for his clear direction for our family...and we waited. And waited...and waited...for about a year. About 6 months ago, Josh mentioned that he wanted to revisit talking with doctors about trying to get pregnant. I was very hesitant to say the least, but after lots of prayer, I realized that fear was what was making me hesitant. And FEAR IS NOT OF GOD, so we went. We went to my OB/GYN and my hematologist and they told us that "pregnancy is risky". ALL of them...and that they could not tell us whether or not to go forward and try. I should also mention that we have miscarried since we had Gracie...and of course that was in the back of both of our minds during this process. We decided that we would pray on it while Josh was gone and maybe go forward with the vasectomy reversal when he returned. Josh went to Uganda with our church, First Baptist McKinney, on a medical mission trip for the 2nd time for 12 days. I couldn't help but feel that God had something different for us.... Then, on June 10th it all changed. Josh was at an orphanage in Uganda...I was journaling during my quiet time...actually praying for Josh when he called. When he told me that he felt lead to adopt from Uganda...I was blown away. I felt the exact same thing...that God was clearly leading us to adopt from Uganda. So, the process started that day!
Since that day...there have already been ups and downs. We found out that the orphanage we originally wanted to adopt from is not currently accepting applications. We also found out (only an estimate at this point) how much it will cost to adopt...and it is A LOT - between $10,000 and $20,000 possibly. The good news is that Uganda, though it is one of the most difficult to adopt from, it is also one of the cheapest. Praise the Lord for that!!! We were also able to share our news with most of our friend and family members and were happy to see how supportive they were. Some people may not understand where we are coming from, but that is ok. We know, without a doubt, that God has called us to do this. My cousin reminded me of a verse that I memorized when we miscarried. It took on new meaning now:
"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14
God created OUR child in another woman's womb. And he knew exactly what he was doing when he did it too. I just find that to be beautifully overwhelming..and miraculous...and awesome!!!
We are so excited to be on this journey. Gracie is even on board! When we asked her if she wanted a sister or brother one day...she quickly replied that she wanted a sister. She has named her...and even is sharing now to get ready for her. Now, we are not sure if we will get a boy or girl yet, but anyone who knows Gracie knows that she has a mind of her own!
Thank you for joining us on this journey. More than anything, we would greatly appreciate your prayers. I will post specific prayer requests along the way. I know that your time is valuable and these days...there is just not enough of it. So, thank you so much for reading the blog and following along with us. If you have an inspriational word or verse, please don't hesitate to post it. If you are able to help out financially please let me know - we are trying to raise all of the funds we need. We are selling t-shirts, pot holders, and a few tote bags - let me know if you would like one! I know that there will be so many ups and downs. We are on a long journey...but it is GOD'S JOURNEY and his word tells us that he has great plans for us - so I know we are all in good hands!
Thanks again. And please stay tuned for our next update!

3 comments:

  1. Okay, I can't say this announcement was a total shock after our conversations during swim lessons. But I can say that I am absolutely THRILLED for you and Josh (and your entire family, because let's face it; they're in this with you). Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help. I love you friend, and I'll be praying for y'all every step of the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soooo.....reading this...and sorta crying...because it is reminding me of a similar story. Troy's high school best friend and his high school girlfriend got married...she is a physical therapist and went to Ukraine to work in orphanages as a mission with some of her coworkers...came home in love with one little boy...they prayed...went back...now he is their son. If you have some free time and want to read an incredible story and see the wonderful things God has given them, adoption being just one, feel free to check it out :) so happy for your family!!

    http://hairstonhaps.blogspot.com/2007/02/bring-ivan-home-background.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much Lori. I love you.
    And thanks Amanda! I will check it out tonight!

    ReplyDelete