Thursday, February 24, 2011

Destroyed...

Ok...so it is no secret that we went to Uganda to get our son.  I have posted about my heart for this place, so it is no secret that I'm falling more and more in love with this place.  I hoped to love Uganda, but when I got there, I was upset with the way I felt.  I did't fall in love like I thought I would.  So, how is it that now that I am home...I can't shake it?  Why can't I stop thinking about the children at Sanyu Babies Home?  The boda boda drivers?  Mengo hospital and the nurses and docs?  Why can't I stop thinking of the avocados and mangos...the juice, the dirt, the smell, our Inn owners?  Why can't I force out of my mind the thoughts of children so hungry?  Such injustice.  Such horrible situations happening to these amazing people?  Why can't I turn my head anymore?  I mean...I knew it happened.  I knew that people suffered.  I knew that kids had big bellies, no clothes, and that they cried because they were really hungry.  I knew it then so...Why can't I shake it now?
I think the main reason (there are many) is because I have come to realize that they are me.  They are my daughter.  They are my son (quite literally there).  They are my Mom and Dad.  They are loving and hospitable.  They are kind and considerate.  They love with their whole hearts.  They value friendship.  They laugh and smile.
The BIGGEST THING though...is that they PRAISE GOD.  There have been a few moments in my life when I felt God's prescense.  Where I knew he was there...cause I could FEEL it.  I don't know that I have ever felt it so strong as I did the day I was at church in Africa.  I was broken and He showed up - BIG time.  And my eyes were opened.  I saw people singing praises to our Lord.  People who had nothing.  And they were thanking Him!  For all the blessings they have.  SERIOUSLY?!?
To say that Uganda humbled me would be an understatement.  To say that it destroyed me...would also be an understatement.  But, I am better today because of this place and these people.  I am so glad I was able to see and learn from them.
Please pray with me.  God is doing something in our family's hearts in regard to this place and these people.  Do you want to join us?  Do you want to be a part of God's work?  Because He is doing something big in a place referred to as "M".  That "M" stands for Mukisa.  When I read about it - I was...well...can't really put it into words.  But my heart is HEAVY...I just can't believe this place exists.  And these boys...Some of you have read about it.  Some of you are changed by it.  Please click on the link below and allow your eyes to be opened to what happens outside of your comfort zone.  We CAN make a difference in this one.  Our little acts of kindness, our help, can really change lives.
Some of you are already there.  You know this place.  It is not comfortable here, but I never want to go back.

sixtyfeet.org

To my sweet Owen,
Sweet boy...you have changed me.  And I love you so much for being you.  And for the me that you are helping me to be.  You are so perfect.
Love you more,
Mommy

2 comments:

  1. Hey Courtney -
    Wow. I get it. I went to Uganda in November to help my dear friend bring home her two little ones and I'll never be the same. Thank the Lord. I don't want to be the same.

    My husband, Scott and I are part of the SixtyFeet team. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts for supporting us. It's amazing to see how God is weaving through people's lives - people we've never met, and yet we are so connected.

    I love your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hoping to head to Uganda SOON to bring our littles home. Love the sixtyfeet org! Love your blog as well. :0)

    ReplyDelete