Tuesday, September 14, 2010

2 big lessons...

This week has been busy!  We had our garage sale last weekend and I am so excited to announce that it was quite successful!  Such a blessing to have so many awesome donations!  We are going for round two this Saturday at the Stonebridge Ranch Garage Sale!  Hopefully, it will be just as great as this last one!
This week I have reallllly learned two things:  1.  Life was never intended to be done alone.  2.  Life isn't about the goal, but it is about the journey.
Lesson 1 was learned in several experiences this week.  There have been so many instances when I have really felt God's love show through another person.  These are just a few of the MANY.

  • Today I was told by a complete stranger that she would check in on our sweet O at the babies home he is staying in.  She is there getting her little girl, and she agreed that "desperate times call for crazy things".  It made me feel so much better about reaching out to a stranger and reminded me of the amazing woman who lead us to O and the women who have helped along the way.
  • My Mom saw a little, tiny, blue and brown blanket for sale at the garage sale.  She picked it up, gave me a crooked glance, and said "This can't be sold.  I'm buying it for my sweet boy."  In those few words...my heart swelled up!  She already loves O like we do.  Isn't God's love amazing???
  • One day last week, I was sitting on the couch thinking about O.  About how his life is and how he has no idea what kind of love he is in for.  How he is sitting at the babies home and has no idea how much we love him.  How many hugs he is going to be getting and how many people want to hold him.  It was overwhelming for a minute and I got a little sad.  I just want to show him love so bad.  I want to undo some of the pain.  Joshua looked at me...leaned over and gave me this peaceful smile.  Then, he told me that God has perfect timing.  How amazing is he?  He knew exactly what to say.  Who knew?
  • When I shared the story above with a friend at Sunday School, she got choked up, and that goes to show AGAIN God's love.  She has feelings for O because she knows God's love.  And it is just inspiring to see. 
  • One of my closest friends called to check in because she couldn't wait for a facebook response to check in on Gracie.
  • Another friend texts to say she was just thinking about me.
  • My grandmother brings two suitcases full of stuff on her flight because she doesn't need it and it would be good for us to sell at the garage sale. 
  • Our friends and family members take the time to help with donations for the sale,
  • A friend goes through all the steps of setting up the give back night.
  • I could really go on with this all night, but I think you get the point.

This goes to show how many amazing, beautiful people I have in my life.  I am so thankful for each of them.  I thank God daily that I get to go through life with them!  Each relationship is different and on different levels and I am just glad I get to be a part of the masterpiece God is creating.

Lesson 2 has been a little harder to learn.  It is one that I have been "in the process" of learning for a LONG time.  You would think I would get it by now...but I guess I am a bit hard headed.  I am sitting here...waiting...for O's process.  When will we get him?  When will our little family grow?  I have really just tried to focus on today.  Look directly in front of me and trust God with tomorrow.  I thought I was getting it. Then, God throws a curve ball.  Most of us know that He is really good at that!  I think they are really just learning opportunities, growth opportunities.
Gracie has been walking with a limp for a while now.  We thought it to be hardly noticeable, but when my grandmother came in, she mentioned it.  So, we made an appointment.  We noticed that it seemed to be getting worse over time.  When we made it to the nurse practitioner (whom we see instead of the doc b/c we LOVE her), she was obviously walking with a limp and when she manipulated her right foot, Gracie lost it.  We immediately went for X-Rays and blood work.  Of course, lots of thoughts flood my head...that is what I do.  I allow my thoughts to take over...the fear...the what ifs...the anxiety and worry.  I find myself thinking that this is just too much.  Then, I remind myself (again with help from Josh), that it is OK.  Really.  No matter what.  It isn't too much - b/c I trust that God will never give me too much.  I have to stop my thought pattern from doing what it does naturally b/c I am not going to allow myself to be that person any more.  He will use this journey to teach me a lesson.  And I really think I may be closer to actually "getting it".  It isn't about when O gets home...but it IS about today and the process of getting him here and how I am and what I make of today.  And it isn't about getting the rest of Gracie's blood work back...but it IS about today and how incredibly beautiful and how much of a blessing she is.
I learned today...that I really do trust God.  I really do trust him with O and I really do trust him with Gracie.  We are OK with waiting.  Waiting to get O home and to get his medical testing done.  And now waiting for Gracie's blood work too.  And that is OK.  Because I know God will take care of her.  Unfortunately (sounds funny, I know), the x-rays were normal.  We were kind of hoping for a healing fracture.  Most of her blood work is back and normal.  So, we are waiting for the rest.  And guess what!!!  I'm not freaking out!  Really.  I'm kind of proud.  I have found myself stressing here and there, but I just remind myself that God is in control and quietly say a prayer to remind myself that I do trust God.  Why wouldn't I???  He has NEVER LET ME DOWN.
P.S.  I'm sure that the next blog post will be titled something like:  "All of that for a sprained ankle?!?!"

To Our Sweet O,
What I would give for a little squeeze right now!  You don't know it...but I am going to spend the rest of my life loving you and your sister more than words can say.  I will do everything in my power to show you and her how much I love you and how much God loves you.  Your name pops into conversation everywhere we go now.  You are one of Gracie's favorite topics of discussion!  Your Daddy and I are falling in love with you more every day.

Love you more,
Mom

4 comments:

  1. Now I am crying! I love you guys so much and can't wait for O to get here. Just remember, your lessons come from the journey and not the outcome. I really like this quote I read a few months ago from Dan Rather: If all difficulties were known at the outset of a long journey, most of us would never start out at all.

    Just remember to breathe! I seriously miss you and love you so much! I am so excited and so happy that even though you are overwhelmed, you are taking the time to appreciate the little daily blessings. We will all love O so much and welcome him with open arms and lots of kisses! He has no clue what he is in for! :)

    LOVE YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I read your blog, friend. I had no idea any of that was going on with Gracie. Thanks for letting me watch the transformation God is working in your life. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kittie - the only thing I wish I could get from you that I don't already have is a move! Love you!
    Lori - Yeah...it always happens so fast. I forget that you don't frequent FB! Maw Maw says Hi back. And thank YOU - we have been friends for a LONG time and you have been had part in this transformation! Love you!

    ReplyDelete